Friday, December 5, 2008

WOOHoo

OK, this is for the ladies attending the "Works of Our Hands" crafting group...I received such grief for not posting enough on the blogs that I thought that I would take this opportunity to do a new posting. This one's for you ladies ;o

Pumpkin Bread w/ fresh Cranberries and Dark Chocolate Chips
This is the receipt on the back of the Ocean Spray bag...with a few tweaks from moi.

1 3/4 cup flour (I used a blend of = parts soft wheat, spelt, barley and oat groats)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. clove
3/4 cup sugar (I used Demerara)
1/2 cup oil
1 cup pure pumpkin (No, before you get all excited...I did not roast my own pumpkin, it was canned)
2 eggs (This should measure 1/2 cup of egg)
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries or frozen, coarsely chopped (I did not chop them...did not read that far. Ooops.
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350degrees. Grease and flour an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pan (I had that small cake pan and not a loaf pan at the house)
Combine dry ingredients in a med. bowl (do not include sugar as a dry ingredient. It is indeed a liquifyer and should almost always be treated as a liquid). Save out a little of the dry ingredients to dust your pan with and to dust the berries and chips to make sure they do not sink to the bottom of the cake.
In a 4 cup measure (or bigger) measure out in this order oil, pumpkin, eggs, sugar. Use the oil to get an accurate & easy measure of pumpkin and eggs...just watch the level of the oil go up to the desired measurement. This way you only have 3 things to wash including the cake pan...well, 4 things if you include the utensil used to stir the cake. Stir wet ingredients into the dry, under mix a little, add the berries and chocolate chips and stir until JUST combined. Pour into greased and floured pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Using a toothpick or kabob skewer test for doneness. Let cake cool in the pan for just a little while...10 minutes would be ideal. I did not have that luxury 'cause I was running late and did not want to miss too much fun with the ladies.

For those who were not there, a good time was had by all. There were even 4 boys and a man in the house and we barely even knew it at all...Sorry Eric for the whole HP discussion. You are so good to be able to just shake off whatever I say. I am hoping that the ladies there will post to their own blogs the projects they were working on...especially when finished. Oh, and Jodi...You need not cast any stones my way on my lack of posting...um, what about your sorely neglected blog, Hmmmmm? Instead of "Run Forrest, Run!" it should be "Post Jodi, Post!"

2 comments: