Thursday, June 12, 2008

Camp Life

Well, this week is our week for camp. This is when my sister's kids (all 5 of them) are here for the week. Yes, that means that we have 7 kids in our care. Now for some of you that is no big deal, for us who are underachievers with only 2 kids, our world is turned upside down. It is not all bad, once we lay down the ground rules and the kids work out their fleshlyness (is that a word?). We established the JOY rule: Jesus first, others second and yourself last. This works as long as we remind them. This works for me too, in that, I tend to loose my cool and forget that these other kids are not my own. I have a hard time with that.




We have had so much fun. You would not think that kids that are working could actually have fun, neither did they. We have cleaned out the chicken coop, swam in the pool, cleaned out 2 freezers, swam in the pool, picked snow peas, sweet peas and snap peas (for 2 hours), swam in the pool. During the freezers the "big kids" started repeating everything that Gaggy said and as each item went down the assembly line to the cooler, the message got funnier and funnier. Gaggy was laughing, the kids were laughing and a good time was had by all. We all were so glad to be inside and cool on that day.




We have had a few mishaps. One incident of scratching, one incident of biting, one bloody nose, a few bumps and scratches, one step on a rusty nail which lead to one trip to the Dr's office for a tetanus shot (We called for an appointment they gave us one at 4:30 we did not see the Dr until 5:45 :o{ ), lots of tattling, and loads of opportunities to practice grace and forgiveness - to EVERYONE!!! (Thanks kids for still loving me!!!)



Now, we are preparing for guests tonight. Some very close friends of my folks will be stopping by for dinner. Some times I feel as though I am intruding on my parents party when they have folks over, but they have some of the best people as friends. Tonight's guests are especially fun and we are so looking forward to being with them. It's funny though, how now as I am an adult, can share friendships with people that I admired and looked up to as a kid. I hope that our kids think that our friends are as cool as we think of my parents friends.


We will be feeding about 20 people - half of them are just us. We will be serving Salmon en Pappeotte with onions, peppers, garlic, lemon and herbs. Sides will be my whole grain & brown basmatti rice pilaf, fresh peas from the garden, fresh Swiss chard from the garden, tossed salad. The others will be bringing the appetizers and desserts. We are so looking forward to tonight.





No comments: